Last Week on Nurturing Thursday I suggested Celebrate what you’ve harvested. This is how I celebrated with a Clementine Cake. Why Clementine cake? We had watched Secret Life of Walter Mitty the week before where Clementine cake made by Shirley McClain plays a pivotal role in the plot so I had to find out if there was such a thing. Turns out, not only there is, but there is even a Walter Mitty Clementine cake. It’s easy to make and even gluten-free because it’s made with almond flour. It seemed so special I invited a few friends over to help eat it and watch and watch the movie. It turned out to be a festive harvest of friends, food and laughter.
Clementine cake is now my new favorite summer cake.
What’s your favorite summer dessert to share? Now make one and share it. 🙂
FYI Clementines are a variety of small seedless tangerines.
Walter Mitty CLEMENTINE CAKE (feel free to cut and paste this)
- 375 grams clementines (approximately 5 small)
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup (225 grams) white sugar
- 2 1/4 cups (250 grams) ground almonds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Butter and line an 8 or 9 inch springform pan with parchment.
- Poke each clementine 3 or 4 times with a knife. Put the clementines in a bowl with a microwave safe cover or plastic wrap. Cook on high for 3-4 minutes. Cool slightly then dump the clementines (whole) in a food processor and process until smooth.
- In large bowl beat eggs and sugar until light colored and doubled in volume (about 5 minutes)
- Add in chopped clementines and mix well. Then add ground almonds and baking power and mix until combined.
- Pour mixture into pan and bake for about 45 minutes (when a skewer will come out clean).
- Cool in the pan on a rack. Once cake is cold, remove from pan and pull off any parchment.
- Glaze and add candied clementines to decorate.
GLAZE ( I used less sugar)
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 3 tablespoons softened butter
- 1/2 cup clementine juice
- Mix everything in a bowl adjusting clementine juice and sugar to make a loose but thick glaze
- 3 clementines
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- Slice clementines very thinly.
- Put sugar and water in a heavy bottomed pan on medium heat. Stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Add clementine slices and simmer on low for about 15-20 minutes.
- Pull clementines from sugar mixture and place on parchment or silpat until cool.
Frequent Contributors to